Opening Sentence:Most of us know instinctively that the phrase “trust me, light this fuse” is a recipe for disaster.
Synopsis:http://www.DarwinAwards.com is the legendary website that commemorates the remains of people who have improved our gene pool by killing themselves in really stupid ways! Started in 1993 by Wendy Northcutt, it honours those people for whom warnings such as ‘coffee is hot’ and ‘this superman cape does not enable the wearer to fly’ were made.
Comments:If you enjoy laughing at the stupidity of other people, then this book is for you. Some of these stories are hilarious. Others will have you shaking your head. All of them will leave you feeling glad you aren’t related. The Darwin Awards contains over 180 stories in the following categories:
- Darwin Awards: nominees lost their reproductive capacity by killing or sterilizing themselves, thereby removing themselves from the gene pool.
- Honorable Mentions: survived their escapade but still illustrate the innovative spirit of Darwin Award candidates.
- Urban Legends: these are cautionary fables with various versions circling the internet, but any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental.
- Personal Accounts: these were submitted by loyal readers and are plausible but generally unverified.
Darwin Awards and Honorable Mentions are further divided into:
- Confirmed by Darwin: indicates that a story was backed up by multiple submissions and more than one reputable media source.
- Unconfirmed by Darwin: indicates fewer submissions and the unavailability of direct confirmation of media sources.
This is a seriously funny book and I highly recommend it.
- Brothers Blow up House While Celebrating Lottery Win (newsy.com)
- Darwin award nominee (samefacts.com)
- Texting on motorcycle at 1AM? Darwin is there [Florida] (fark.com)
- Re: Fireworks gone terribly wrong (libertycaucus.net)
- January 16—–2012 Darwin Awards (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
What are your thoughts?