This morning I once again pulled out the slow-cooker and threw in some spuds; some pumpkin, some carrots, a bit of leftover green capsicum, a few tomatoes, some leftover bacon my mother-in-law gave me, and the leftover beef – all chopped into bite-sized pieces. I then added the leftover beetroot and a tin of corn kernels, including the juice from both. Next, I added a couple of handfuls each of red lentils, green lentils and pearl barley. Finally I filled it with water to the rim and added some black pepper and leftover curry powder (which was probably only just over a teaspoon worth, but waste not…). I then replaced the lid and cooked on low for about eight hours.
Tonight’s soup was served without bread because I forgot to pull a loaf out of the freezer and none of us like our bread nuked.
- Survival Soups For Hard Times (personalliberty.com)
- Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup Without the Fat (lowfat.answers.com)
- Stretch Those Leftovers: Turkey Barley Soup (southernfood.answers.com)
- Enhancing Your Dinner With Low-Fat Lentil Lemon Soup (lowfat.answers.com)
- ‘I Need a Hug on the Inside’ Vegetable Soup (awakenyourtastebuds.com)
Categories: Thrifty Living