A Book That Made You Cry
Whether you are talking about books or movies or music, I cry at the drop of a hat. Therefore, there are loads of books that I could use for today’s blog. The book I am going to choose, however, is one that had me feeling depressed from beginning to end and which made me cry several times throughout. That book is The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
Set in a future America, after some unknown apocalypse, this is the story of a father and son – ‘each other’s world entire’ – trying to move south to warmer climes. Starving, exhausted and constantly alert for roaming cannibalistic brigands, it sometimes seems as though they are sustained by love alone.
The language in this novel is beautifully evocative and the complete absence of quotation marks adds to the haunted quality that permeates the book. The characters are inherently believable – who among us could not empathise with a father trying to shield his son from the horrors of a world gone mad?
Sad, depressing, despairing and all too believable, The Road nevertheless manages to end on a hopeful note. This is a definite must-read but have a box of tissues handy.
- 30 Day Book Challenge Day 9: (raffertysrules.wordpress.com)
- 30 Day Book Challenge Day 10: (raffertysrules.wordpress.com)
- 30 Day Book Challenge Day 11: (raffertysrules.wordpress.com)
- 30 Day Book Challenge (raffertysrules.wordpress.com)
- 30 Day Book Challenge Day 3: (raffertysrules.wordpress.com)
Categories: Challenge Responses