This is a delicious and economical way to add some fish to your diet. I got the recipe from We’ll Eat Again by Marguerite Patton. Unfortunately we forgot to take a picture for you, so you will just have to take my word for it that this dish turned out well!
1 tomato or 2 or 3 spring onions if possible
1Tbsp gravy powder
1 Dessertspoon curry powder
about 1 pint vegetable boilings or water
1 Tbsp chutney or stewed apple
1 Dessertspoon sugar
1 lb fresh-salted cod, either boiled or baked
1 lb sliced cooked carrots
Melt the dripping, fry the tomato or onions cut small, stir in the gravy powder and curry powder. When it is well bound, gradually add boiling liquid to form a thick sauce. Stir in the chutney or apple and sugar. Add the fish and the carrots cut in small pieces and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of plain boiled potatoes. Serves 4.
- We used Blue Grenadier instead of salted cod.
- We used tomato as we had no spring onions.
- We used beetroot chutney.
- We used butter instead of dripping.
- By serving with rice instead of potato, we managed to spread this dish to six people.
- Curried Cod (recipegluadys.wordpress.com)
- Herb Crusted Cod With Petit Pois (shinyvarg.wordpress.com)