- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 3 cups of desiccated coconut
- 125 grams of copha
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 2 egg whites
- 2 or 3 drops of cochineal (pink food colouring)
- Line the base of a 20cm square cake tin with foil.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and stir in the coconut.
- Melt the copha over a low heat and stir into the coconut mixture along with the vanilla. Mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl until frothy, then mix them thoroughly with the coconut mixture.
- Press half the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing the surface with a spatula.
- Add some cochineal to the rest to colour it pink. Stir until well blended.
- Smooth the pink mixture evenly over the white layer.
- Allow to set in the fridge for around an hour.
- Remove the coconut ice from the tin, discarding the foil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the coconut ice into squares.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.